- Nothing like waiting for new toys - I was hoping my new NAS was arriving today - but no - not even shipped.
- DNS - Domain Name System
- PhoneBook of the internet translates human readable names (domain-names) to IP-adresses that can be used by computers.
- It works like a tree - with root servers - top–domains - domains and hosts or subdomains. To find a name you traverse the tree (or the DNS-server you use traverses the tree).
- Caching is used to make the loads lower.
- DNS is interesting since it old and built by trust - and today that is not very safe.
- We can secure our DNS-data by signing it - hindering DNS-servers providing wrong information or spoofing DNS-names.
- We can encrypt the DNS-querys increasing privacy.
- Which DNS-server are you using - who can se what you access? Google? Your telco?
- I have switched to use Quad9 - that provide a non-logging DNS-server to secure your privacy. You can also use their DNS-over-TLS or DNS-over-HTTPS solution to increase your privacy more.
- Quad9 also have block-list that stops you from getting to malicious sites (optional).